Shayna beat cancer, but faced many costs she didn't expect. There were her medical plan’s copays for doctor visits and what she owed for chemotherapy after meeting her deductible. She also bought hair prosthetics, paid for travel to specialists, and had alternative treatments. What's more, her husband missed work to help care for her. All the bills on top of being sick felt overwhelming — but there was good news. The benefits from Shayna's Critical Illness insurance helped cover the expenses. And, her plan also gave her access to Health AdvocateTM.* Through this service, Shayna received the support of a personal guide who helped her make sense of her diagnosis and treatment options.
Shayna used the insurance benefit to help pay for:
- Medical insurance deductible
- Out-of-pocket expenses for six months
- Alternative treatments and diets not covered by her medical plan
- Transportation to medical appointments and treatments
- Lodging near treatment facility
- Husband's lost wages
* Health Advocacy services are provided through an arrangement with Health Advocate, a leading health advocacy and assistance company. Health Advocate is not affiliated with The Standard or any insurance or third-party provider, and does not replace health insurance coverage, provide medical care or recommend treatment.
Example is for illustrative purposes. Eligibility for benefits and amounts shown in this example may vary from any policy your employer may offer and may vary based upon your individual circumstances, policy definitions, waiting periods, exclusions and limitations. Eligibility for Health Advocate varies by state.